All greens are good but some are super good like this drumstick leaves. Planning is the key of making any dish on a busy day. I usually pluck the leaves before hand, one tip is to do it while
watching tv or on phone. Otherwise, I feel very bored to do this chore. Usually we get drumstick leaves in bunches and we need to just have only the leaves, not any stick part. Just be cautious about it.
What you need?
plucked Drumstick leaves-1 cup
Yellow Moong dal soaked - 1/4 cup
Gorbanzo beans (or any beans of your choice) - 1/4 cup
Sambar powder - 1 tsp (optional). Increase for more spice
Coriander, chilli and Chana dal powder - 2 Tbsp (use just coriander powder if you dont have this mixed powder)
Asofoedita- 1/8 tsp
coconut 3 Tbsp or (carrot-1 and 10 almonds)
curry leaves powder
Optional additional masala powder
Mustard - 1/4 tsp
urad dal-2 tsp
whole balck pepper-2 tsp
Dry fry mustard, red chillies,pepper and urad dal till golden and set aside.
1. Boil water, add washed drumstick leaves, salt, turmeric powder and asofoedita, sambar powder, coriander masala powder if using and let it boil.
2. Pressure cook moong dal and beans seperately with turmeric powder and salt for 4 whistles (depending upon your cooker). Alternatively you can just cook moong dal in a pan with sufficient water.
I have never cooked beans in that way, So I dont know.
3. Grind the additional masala powder if using.
4. In the same jar, grind coconut or carrot, almond mixture. I soak almonds in hot water for 15-20 mins. It can be grinded as such also.
5. Add the masala pownder and the ground mixture. Let it boil for 10 mins. Add enough water but not too watery.
6. Add pressure cooked beans and moong dal, adjust salt and thickness by adding water if required. Let it cook for 10 mins. Keep stirring to avoid the skin formation in the kadai.
7. Do tadka and it is done.
There are also other preparations of drumstick leaves. I will add them soon. Few simple preparations include using it as topping for adai (lentil dosa), idli or just mix in chappathi flour. Chop
the leaves if required.