I never thought of making nut butter at home till I saw the post by Champa about Almond butter. She has a beautiful blog-versatile kitchen. Thanks Champa for inspiring me.
We love peanut butter which is like a staple food for all our breakfast with bread and it goes very well with apple on snack time too.
Anything home made has its own value! Store bought are definetely restricted.
So, first I tried making peanut butter, it was hit. Then, I tried making peanut, almond, sesame seeds butter. That is what is Nutty butter. Sesame seeds is very good, it has good fat, increases stamina and much more.
Usually I bake bread atleast once in a week and at the end of baking, I slip in the peanuts and almonds in the cookie sheet in the oven.
Here is how we can make it
sesame seeds-1/4 cup-1/2cup
Flax meal-1/2 cup
cinnamon-2 tsp (optional)
salt-3/4 tsp (adjust as per taste)
Olive oil/Flax oil -3 Tbsp (you can use in combination also)
How to make?
1. Roast peanuts, almonds seperately either in oven or in
1. If using oven, at 350 F (bake) , 10-12 mins. Let it cool for a while, check if it is roasted. If not, bake again for 5 mins. Keep checking when you do first time.
2. Heat kadai, reduce heat, add sesame seeds, cover with lid. It will pop. Gently shake and make sure that it does not burn.
3. Transfer to a flat dish and let it cool.
4. Switch off the stove, in the same kadai, add flax meal, let it sit for 3-4 mins. keep aside.
5. Add peanuts to mixy jar, blend, first it will powder and then it will release oil and blend itself, when it gets hard, add oil, add extra nuts and all other ingredients keeping flax at the end.
Mixy/Electric blender will become very hot to touch. You can pause in between and then continue to grind after a while.
1. Lot of flexibility since it is home made, add brown sugar upto 1 Tbsp if you want it to have the sweet and salt taste.
2. Try other nuts/seeds like pumpkin, sunflower seeds and walnuts or pecans starting with 1/4 cup
If we add flax meal, if you just eat the butter, you will feel the flax meal. If it is used in the bread, we never notice it.