Fig and Nuts Cake
Happy Deepavali! It is time for sweets, snacks, fire crackers and lights(Diyas). We make variety of sweetes and snacks atleast once in a year and enjoy without any guilt. I make careful sweet choices with less white sugar and less Ghee. I made most of my sweets this year with just 2-3Tbsp of Ghee and Dates, Fig and jaggery as sweeteners. One of the sweet was Fig Almond Cake. It can be made as Halwa too but that requires lot more ghee.
Dried Figs-2 cups
whole Almond-1 cup
Nuts of your choice-1 cup coarsely cut (almond/cashews/pistachiaos) - variety looks good
cardomom/elachi powder-1/4 tsp
How to make?
1. Soak fig in hot milk for an hour and almonds in hot water for an hour
2. Blanch almonds to remove skin
3. Grind soaked fig with milk and almonds together in a blender or mixie.
1. Heat Ghee in kadai and fry the nuts of your choice and transfer the nuts alone to the plate
2. Add the ground mixture to the ghee and cook in low flame occasionally stirring it for about 30 mins.
3. Add one Tbsp of Ghee and the nuts. Mix well.
4. Add cardomom or elachi powder if using, mix well and transfer to a round or square dish. Let it cool completely. Pack them nicely in the plate. After cooling, you should be able to cut them into squares or just enjoy it as such.