Beware of Vit D3(for Vegeterians)

I wanted to share this in a seperate post though I blogged about it in my fat free milk post.  This post is for vegeterians who are conscious about eating meat in any form.  I was never in a doubt that basic things like Milk could be ever contaminated with animal products.    Here in US, lot of things are sold fortified with vitamins, iron, calcium and many more.  It took six loong years for me to find out that i have to be beware of animal products and know the technical terms like Vit D2 and D3.  Vit D2 is Vit D extracted from plants while D3 is extracted from Animals.

Vit D3 could be derived from slaughtered animals like fish, pig, cow.  It could also be extracted from sheep's wool where those animals are not slaughtered.

Vit D3 is added in Milk, orange juice, cottage cheese and many more products like milk powder.

It was tough to find alternates after i threw all the milk, yogurt all in a shot once i knew this.  Here are the list of rescues that I got to

1. Fresh farm milk sold at Sprouts Market.  It was expensive.
2. Cream topped milk from Traders Joe
3. Strauss Organic Milk from few stores., I was relieved once I started getting this milk from local Costco.  Thank God.  I felt like God heard me after i roamed around to get milk. 
4. Organic valley Milk - I still buy 2% of this milk which says D3 but they are from sheep's wool.  I called them and also emailed them to just that they are not from slaugtered animals.  There webiste also had this information.

Please email me if you want to know more details about this message.   You can also call the 800 number mentioned in your milk can or other products to find out the source of Vit D.

Thanks for reading. 

Comments

Popular Posts