Handy Kids Lunch - Stuffed dumpling

It is always handy to have few recipes which takes less time to make with few dishes but also nutritional.   I am somehow skeptical about buying lunch at school, one reason is that I don't trust that it is truly healthy and another reason is the concoctions like having milk with lunch and all those things.    I research and if it makes sense to me then I start practicing.  Once I am convinced with an idea then I do not wait to practice.
This is actually  my husband recipe .  We always try to use more veggies in any dish that we make.  I send dumpling for lunch once in few weeks.   I usually mix the idli batter with veggies and make it but this one is made differently.   You could use idli batter or any batter like even Vadai batter.  I have few ideas on the base mix which I will share sometime.

What you need?

Keep the batter ready
Cut veggies like carrot, beans, potato into small cubes
Fry them with oil with cumin, turmeric and masala powder, once cooked, keep aside.

You need a special dish to make this, it is called paniyaram or appe dish.  It has small deep holes with heavy bottom.

How to make it?

1. Heat the paniyaram dish and spray oil on it, keep it in medium heat

2. Pour 1 Tbsp batter in each hole, add a tbsp of veggie on top of the batter in each hole, again add a tbsp of batter to cover the veggie

3.Turn over the dumpling using the stick and a spoon, spray oil, let it cook for about 5 mins.

4. Transfer to a dish and let it cool.

It is ready to pack for lunch or eat as snack.    Kids can eat it quickly and run for their play time.  They love their recess during lunch.   I pack it with my kids favourite homemade tomato spread.







Comments

Popular Posts